Quilting & Sewing
Choosing the right batting is essential for the final look, feel, and comfort level of your project. Our 100% wool batting is perfect for your quilting and crafting projects. Our wool is not carbonized or super-washed, so if you are looking for the most natural wool batting on the market – you have found it!
Carbonizing and/or super-washing the wool changes the qualities of the wool fibers, so if you really want to benefit from ALL of the natural qualities of wool, then do not use a wool that has been chemically treated in any way.
Why use 100% Wool Batting or your Quilt?
• Wool breathes, so it is perfect for quilts you will be sleeping under. Wool keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Perfect for people of all ages.
• Wool has elasticity – it is “springy” – it bounces back. This means no permanent creases in your quilts. A wool fiber can bend more than 20,000 times before breaking (versus a cotton fiber which only lasts about 6200 times).
• Wool batting provides a soft drape, so is excellent for quilts you would like to wrap around yourself.
• Wool has a high loft, and it is strong – it maintains its loft over time. The height is between 1/4” and 1/3”.
• Stitch Definition. Due to its loft, Wool provides excellent stitch definition.
• Quilting Distance. We recommend our batting for 4” or less.
• Great for hand and machine quilting. No scrims or resins to resist your needles.
• Fire Resistant. Wool smolders when it catches fire, versus cotton or polyester, which flame and melt.
• Durable and Long lasting. Wool lasts longer than any other natural fiber.
About Our Wool Batting
• Our wool fibers are lightly needle punched on one side to hold it intact. We DO NOT bond our wool with resins or heat.
• Because our wool is not chemically treated, it cannot be machine washed or dried. We recommend hand washing your quilted items or dry clean at a location that provides chemical-free dry cleaning.
• Color: Our wool is all natural and not bleached; the color is a creamy off-white color.
• Micron: Our wool is between 28 and 34 microns, which is a coarse wool.
• Made with Love in the United States: Sonoma Wool Company was created to support Family Ranches and small family-owned businesses throughout the supply chain. Our wool is sourced entirely from family ranches, and washed and carded in the United States in family-owned mills.